Fuel Changes 2022
Following the government's announcement to end rebated fuel for ‘off road’ use we’re switching to supply white diesel in place of red. And in line with changes being made by the major fuel suppliers we’re also introducing daily fuel pricing in place of monthly or weekly fuel price contracts.
Switching to daily fuel pricing
From Wednesday 9th March Sunbelt Rentals UK and Ireland is introducing daily fuel pricing.
The switch to daily fuel pricing is a result of the current volatile situation within global fuel markets, which has resulted in major fuel suppliers suspending weekly or monthly fuel price contracts and moving to charge for fuel pricing on a daily basis.
This means that the charged fuel rate will be the prevailing daily rate for your business on the day of delivery.
Please visit our Changes to Fuel Charging page for more information on our switch to daily fuel pricing.
What’s happening to rebated fuels?
To meet UK and global environmental targets and reduce carbon emissions, from the 1st April 2022 rebated fuels such as red diesel and red HVO will no longer be available for use in most sectors. This includes the construction, highway maintenance and events industries.
Full details on the fuel policy reform and any exemptions can be found on the Governments website.
What fuel services do Sunbelt Rentals UK provide?
Our teams can provide multiple types of fuel and accompanying services.
Our depots can provide white diesel in towable bowsers and fuel tanks as well and supply plant and other relevant equipment (such as generators) filled with white diesel. Tanks and bowsers can also be provided empty if required.
Our dedicated fuel team can provide managed fuel services, arranging deliveries of white diesel or HVO direct to your sites, which can be monitored and replenished when stocks run low. Through our managed fuel service, we can provide telemetry data and reports on your fuel consumption.
We also provide kerosene and industrial heating oil through our fuel team.
Managing the switch from red to white
Here’s a few key dates and points to consider to you help manage the switch on your site:
- All fuel tanks and bowsers must be emptied of red and filled with white diesel, HVO or other legal fuel from 1st April 2022.
- If you have a fuel bowser or tank on hire from Sunbelt, you’ll need to run down stocks of red diesel before 31st March.
- Sunbelt Rentals UK will officially be making the switch to supply white in place of red on 14th March 2022. Any fuel supplied after this date will be charged at the current white diesel rate.
- Any fuel bowsers or tanks returned with red diesel after this date will incur a charge for emptying.
- Any NRMM equipment such as plant and generators do not need to be emptied of red, they can be topped up with white diesel or HVO from 1st April.
- However, we do ask that any equipment returned from 1st March onwards have minimal red diesel in the tank.
- If you are exempt from the fuel tax changes and will continue to use red diesel, please speak with a member of our team to make necessary arrangements.
- Our entire fleet is already compatible with white HVO and white diesel the only change is to the colouring of the fuel.
Did you know HVO fuel can reduce carbon emissions by 90%? For more information on the HVO we source, and its environmental benefits, visit HVO Fuel Solutions.
How can you lower your fuel consumption?
We have made extensive investments in equipment that offers a greener, lower carbon alternative to standard fuel powered models.
Some of the greatest savings in both cost and carbon reductions can be made by adopting one or more of our Greener Power Solutions. These include battery storage units, solar pods and energy management systems and we also offer a range of EV (Electric Vehicle) and EP (Electric Plant) charging solutions.
And we continue to offer the UKs largest hire fleet of stage V compliant equipment from telehandlers, excavators to generators and access equipment, along with the nations largest range of electric plant.
More information on our Greener Solutions can be found by visiting Greener Equipment Solutions.
Or in our brochure that can be downloaded below: